If you’re a fan of adding creamy toppings to your coffee, sundaes, or pies, whipping cream is essential. However, if you find yourself without it when your recipe is nearly complete, consider exploring alternatives to whipping cream.
Continue reading to find out the top substitutes!
Running out of whipping cream or having dietary restrictions like lactose intolerance, vegetarianism, or a low-fat diet might lead you to seek a substitute for whipping cream.
Here, we present a list of 8 superb alternatives to whipping cream, complete with instructions on how to prepare and utilize each substitute. Details are provided in the upcoming sections.
Choosing the Perfect Whipping Cream Substitute: 8 Excellent Options
This section outlines the finest whipping cream alternatives, including combinations of butter and milk, dry milk with lemon juice and vanilla, bananas with egg whites, chilled evaporated milk, frozen non-dairy toppings, milk mixed with cornstarch and flour, coconut milk, and silken tofu blended with soy milk.
Let’s begin with the butter and milk combination.
1. Butter and Milk
Butter and milk form an ideal pairing as a whipping cream substitute.
Essential details about the butter and milk mix:
- Combine ⅓ cup of softened butter with ¾ cup of milk for a texture akin to whipping cream.
- Use an electric mixer for achieving a fluffy texture.
- This mix is suitable for both baking and cooking applications.
Next, let’s explore the blend of dry milk, lemon juice, and vanilla.
2. Dry Milk, Lemon Juice, and Vanilla
A mix of dry milk, lemon juice, and vanilla serves as a fantastic low-fat whipping cream alternative.
How to Prepare:
- Whisk together ⅓ cup of ice water, 1 ¼ tablespoon of lemon juice, and ½ tablespoon of vanilla with an electric mixer.
- Add ⅓ cup of dry non-fat milk after initial mixing.
- Whisk at medium speed for 5 minutes.
- Add 2 tablespoons of sugar.
- Continue mixing at medium speed for another 2 minutes.
Coming up next, let’s examine the combination of banana and egg white.
3. Banana and Egg White
Banana and egg white together make an excellent non-dairy whipping cream alternative, ideal for cakes and other desserts, especially for those who are lactose intolerant.
- Combine 1 peeled banana and 1 egg white in a bowl.
- Add sugar as desired.
- Mix with an electric mixer at medium speed for 5 minutes.
- Continue mixing until the desired stiffness is achieved.
- Enjoy your non-dairy whipping cream alternative.
Next, we will explore chilled evaporated milk.
4. Chilled Evaporated Milk
Chilled evaporated milk is a superb alternative to whipping cream, particularly when you’re short on
milk cream. It’s perfect for desserts and beverages.
- Place 13 ounces of evaporated milk in a bowl and chill overnight in the refrigerator (at least 12 hours).
- Add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice to the chilled milk.
Finally, let’s discuss frozen non-dairy toppings.
5. Frozen Non-Dairy Toppings
Frozen non-dairy topping is a convenient whipping cream substitute, ideal for those who prefer an easy solution or are short on time or ingredients for homemade whipping cream. Keeping one or two cans in the fridge can be a real timesaver, especially for vegetarian dishes. For instance, consider using Rich On Top Non-Dairy Dessert Topping.